thupka and cheddar!
I have returned from the rural midsection of the country, refreshed and feeling a renewed need to get out and see this beautiful place. The retreat was a surprisingly excellent time. It was so great to see the stars, moon, planets, trees, greenery and my fellow fellows. During the days we made presentations about our work, walked around, had official and unofficial discussions. At night we sat around in the beautiful darkness, got inebriated, told ghost stories, and played a variety of games including charades, mafia, and "acting." My favorite game was definitely the one in which we acted out scenes from either saved by the bell or a movie- and people had to guess the appropriate scene or movie. I played a variety of characters including old yellerÂs killer,HanniballÂs warden, clint eastwood in theuthanasiaia scene from million dollar baby, and princess leah in star wars (the scene in which she and the others are stuck in the garbage crusher).
It was refreshing not to have to scrub the dirt off my feet and face every night, to breathe clean air, and to act like a moron around other people acting like morons. IÂm still not sure which of these was most needed. All three aspects were equally necessary. IÂve attached some pics from the countryside at Anandwan, as well as the fellows acting game, and progressive pictures of kids I distracted from their schoolwork when I walked by. You will note that there are only a few kids who want their picture taken at first, and then there is an entire schoolful of boys running to the field to have their pictures taken as well. The teacher must really have loved me. Not.
Last night I went to a Swedish children's play, which I found boring. It marked the opening of a theater festival in Calcutta. Some famous Bengali guy was there- he had acted in 7 Years in Tibet, as was the woman who played Ghandi's wife in Ghandi. A tv station crew picked out the white girl (me) for an interview. I declined. Afterwards, I went to the tastiest little hole- in-the-wall-down-a-sketchy-alley for the best Tibetan food I've ever had- thupka (noodle and veg soup). Too bad they stopped making momos at 9pm. Since the thupka is all I am able to concentrate on at the moment, I will have to return for a refill. Here's a thupka recipe: http://www.tanc.org/new_food/thenthuk.html
A few exciting things coming up:
1) I will spend New Years with Kasey, a friend/Fellow in Varanasi, on the river banks of the ganges. There are tons of parties in Calcutta but I would prefer a chill time that canÂt be replicated anywhere else. I am happy to report that Kasey recently inherited a huge round of sharp cheddar cheese, which we will be happily munching on during the New Years weekend. Sharp cheddar cheese!!! (It's not something that is easily procured in these parts).
2) In January I will be attending DiyaÂs cousinÂs wedding- a consented-to arranged marriage. I will be DiyaÂs helper at the wedding (of 3,000-4,000 guests over 3 days!!!) I will have to wear a sari. Pics will definitely follow.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home